Address: Via Sant’Antonio
The late Gothic style Church of Sant’Antonio Abate and Sant’Eligio was built between 1345 and 1366 by the Confraternity with the same name, to shelter the sick and poor pilgrims, as it was situated next to a hospital and an oratory. There was also a guild of goldsmiths in this church who introduced the cult for their patron saint, Sant’Eligio. The doorway of the façade, decorated with a fourteenth-century bas-relief in stone, depicting Christ between Saint Anthony and Saint Eligius, is retained from the original layout. Behind the high altar, framed by gilded wood, we can admire the Company’s Processional Banner, commissioned from Luca Signorelli in 1505 and painted on both sides of the same canvas.